trū® Shrimp provides the most cutting-edge technology and knowledge to the shrimp industry. trū® Shrimp is developing the pinnacle of shrimp production methodology that produces safe and healthy shrimp for a growing population. At trū® Shrimp, product quality, consumer safety and a consistent shrimp supply are at the forefront of every day.
The trū® Shrimp Pilot Production and Innovation Center is a state-of-the-art facility to determine the impact of shrimp nutrition and health products on growth and survivability. Staffed with a team of industry-leading experts, the center is complete with two production tidal basins, 144 shrimp research tanks, 16 nursery holding tanks, an animal health laboratory and water quality and shrimp feed laboratories. trū® Shrimp continually studies its exclusive technologies and conducts contract research.
As Director of Research & Development, you will plan, organize and direct a team of scientists, system and process engineers, lab personnel, and technicians of a shrimp aquaculture business. You will ensure all projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with the organizations established policies, goals, and objectives. This position will oversee the design and development of primary and applied research activities for the operation of trū Shrimp facilities. The Director of R&D will oversee the Genetics, Nutrition, Habitat, Husbandry, Co-Product, and lab execution teams to support existing and new process.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive and duties may vary based on departmental and company needs.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Plan, organize, prioritize, and control all aspects of research and development activities to bring trū Shrimp technology and process to global markets while adhering to all requirements of governing regulatory bodies, quality system and all compliance regulations.
- Develop, plan, organize, coordinate, and control primary and applied research plans in three and one-year increments.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders; facilitate cross-functional team building to improve team efficiencies.
- Prepare and present information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Secure and manage consulting engagements as required.
- Develop and convey the strategic vision for the R&D organization and ensure there is alignment within the R&D organization and across other functional areas.
- Prepare and manage expense and capital budgets for group operation.
- Represent the company at seminars and professional meetings making scientific presentations as needed to the aquaculture communities in support of commercialization efforts and the advancement of our core technologies.
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance and technical support for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure professional development and growth opportunities for staff and maintain resource synergies within the R&D group. Develop a succession plan which outlines potential movements and identifies human resource gaps.
- In collaboration with your supervisor you will develop a unique professional development plan to ensure that you are pursuing and fulfilling your professional and personal goals in a diligent and thoughtful manner.
Qualifications and Skills
- Education: Degree in a related field or equivalent in experience.
- Experience: 5 years or more managing a research and development team in a food, aquaculture, or agriculture environment.
- General: Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite, familiarity with SAS software helpful but not required. Written and oral communication skills.
- Physical: Minimal lifting.
- Travel: Domestic and International travel required. Estimate is 20% of the working week in travel.
Benefits and Perks
All existing benefits available to full time Ralco employees as outlined in the handbook:
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ralco 401 K Plan
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation/Sick Days